As an institution of research for Central Europe and related scientific services will ever funded equally by the federal government and the 16 states, led by the State of Hesse. 18 institutions and commissions constitute the corporate members in the association of the Herder Institute.
In scientific and conceptual issues, the Institute is advised by an internationally composed Scientific Advisory Board. The decision to structure and finance of the Institute is ultimately the responsibility of the Board of Trustees.
In addition to numerous partners at home and abroad, in particular promotes the contact with the Chair appointed as Leibniz and Herder Chair scientists networking.
The structure of the Institute is represented in the chart. In addition to the departments, we find such cross-cutting areas such as equal opportunities, research coordination.
- Collecting, Preserving and Communicating Cultural Heritage
- Transnational Research Dialogue
- Digital and Visual History
- Space, City and Environment
- Political Systems, Conflicts and Security
Meeting place and contact point for international research
- Projects and research
- Conferences, workshops, lectures
- Youth promotion (teaching events, junior conferences, summer schools)
- Fellowship program
- Editions, handbooks, monographs
- Journal of East Central European Studies (JECES)
- University teaching
Worldwide unique collections serve as a basis
- Research library
- Image archive
- Map collection
- Document collection
Online resources for History and Culture of East Central Europe
- Country portals and Internet resources on East Central Europe
- Bibliographic online service (bibliography protal)
- Online portal on the history of East Central Europe (documents and materials)
- LOEWE focus "Cultural techniques and their medialisation"